Saturday 28 April 2012

On the edge of nowhere

Click for more photos.

I've finished working at the BBC now so I returned from London and headed up to the Outer Hebrides for a short break and a chance to catch up with some old friends. This place is breathtaking. It's a barren, yet very lived in, environment. Occasionally, while driving around, we'd spot old tractors, trucks and buses abandoned by the roadside to decay, because they'd never make it back to the town or to the mainland. Unused houses are left empty, and the moors are dotted with seemingly untouched shielings.

Some of the shielings really are untouched, crumbling or barely standing against the elements. Some are still used during the summer months and show distant signs of life inside - a gas stove or an old board game for instance.

After my interview and my visa gets approved, I want to fly out as soon as I can. I have a bit of time now to take a UK tour, meeting up with friends and family to say farewell. Right now, I really am on the edge of nowhere. It's not a bad place to be.

A shieling. Click for more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment