Monday 17 June 2013

Life as an expat - one year on!

It's my one year anniversary of being a US Resident!  I'm shocked and frightened by how quickly that year went by, but also very excited about the coming year and the opportunities it'll bring for team Gladley. 

Looking back on the past twelve months, here's what I've been up to in my first year as a British expat living in the United States…

WATCHING


My first July 4th parade - and I'm looking forward to this again! As silly as it sounds, this was one of my highlights of moving here, seeing a local piece of rural Americana.

The London Olympics - Some of my most-read posts are my rundowns of watching the Olympics as my motherland was on show for the world to see. I got the chance to see the Games both on TV here in the USA, and in-person, as I flew back to London in August and saw the US pick up some gold medals.

Infomercials a-plenty - I get a lot of hits to this post due to funny keyword searches.

ADMIRING

 

Life in the country and also Life in the City - it's no secret now that I'm in love with Philadelphia. Where we live, we get the best of both worlds. It's also amusing to discover people who live in either region and never visit the other. Try it sometime - you might just like it.

EATING

 

I have eaten a lot since I moved here. It's been fantastic. Here's what I have been eating, and also what I haven't.

I've tried very hard to convince you that America has some brilliant cuisine and I hope I've encouraged you to seek out some good US eating. One of my favorite times was devoting a whole month of posts to America's favorite harvest fruit, the humble pumpkin.

You know what happens when you get married and move to America? You put on weight. Come on, that's a double whammy of excuse right there. I don't mind admitting that I've put on 6lbs in the past year…

…and it's totally been worth it.

Trust me, I have so many ideas for the next year of this humble little blog, I hope you continue to read and comment and connect with me. Let me know what you'd like to read next - more FOOD FIGHT posts? More photos of Philadelphia? More guides to life as an expat? Some of my favorite posts have been inspired by comments from my readers so don't be shy - comment or email me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment